Tuesday, May 31, 2022

HISSY FITS AND PERSONALITY SPLITS - DON'T LET INCONSISTENT CHARACTERS RUIN YOUR NOVEL

Photo by Kieran Wood on Unsplash
 Hello and welcome to my blog. I have another topic to help you with your writing journey. This was a problem I recognized in my own work. I had let my manuscript sit for a few weeks, and it was time for more edits when I stumbled upon something worth mentioning.

  


I reread a scene in my upcoming novel, Run Girl Run,  and saw a glaring error. My character, Priscilla, stepped way out of line. Here’s an excerpt from the novel I wrote in Tracie's point of view. Tracie is my teenage protagonist.  I highlighted the part that needed a change in red. 

She was a sneering witch, with twisted lips and teeth clamped together.

“Well, well.” She barged into the room as I side-stepped her. “I thought I made myself clear. You no longer live here. You might have manipulated Cal, but Dick is off-limits.”

Oh, the off-limits speech again. Please.

Dick stood in the doorway. “Tracie didn’t manipulate me.”

“She sure did. And now she’s got you defending her. How convenient.” Priscilla gave me a wicked grin. “Get out of my house before I call the police. They’ll know what to do with a teenage runaway.”

Holy crap, I had plowed up the wrong plot and unearthed the rot of jealousy. And it stunk.

“Can I please get my clothes out of the dryer?”

“No, you can’t. Leave now.” She took a swipe at a lamp and it flew across the room. The bulb shattered, glass skidding over the wood floor.

“But I need my uniforms and shoes.”

“You should’ve thought of that before sneaking in here.”

Dick took a step forward. “Priscilla, be reasonable. Let the kid have her clothes.”

     She moved toward me and grabbed my arm. “It’s not negotiable. Go before I lose my temper.” She squeezed hard and pulled me toward the door.

 

During the reread, I realized my mistake. In that moment, I wanted to smack myself upside the head. Why did I write that? For Pete’s sake, Priscilla would have never behaved that way. She would have never put her hands on Tracie. Priscilla didn’t believe in attacking kids, though lamps weren’t off limits. This section begged for a rewrite. So, that’s what I did. After I fixed the scene, Priscilla’s reaction made perfect sense. 

Writers must keep a character’s behavior consistent to make the story believable. If your protagonist is terrified of guns, he wouldn’t have them stashed in every drawer of his house. Or if your character’s sister was bitten by a poisonous snake, she’s not likely to keep one for a pet. A character that frets about her appearance wouldn’t choose to go to the store dressed in ratty sweat pants and a dirty t-shirt. If she did, you better have a good reason for sending her out in public like that.

When reviewing your work, double check the dialogue and the character's reaction. Does the dialogue fit the character you created? Are they acting like they have throughout the entire novel? If not, why not? What makes a character tick? What happened in their past for them to react or not respond like another character would? What recurring elements do you want to clarify in the manuscript? Are the pieces glued together into a coherent story? Do they entwine and swirl into a theme?

Some writers keep a character development file to remind them of pertinent details. Character development and character consistency aren’t the same thing, but they’re related. By reviewing a character’s background, personality, beliefs, education, and motivation, you can better decide how they should behave under certain conditions.

It can take several rereads before consistency mistakes rear their ugly heads. For me, it’s after I’ve reread my work so many times, I can quote entire passages. I notice these errors when I’m sick of the story. And though I’m tired of looking at the manuscript, I know if I don’t review it one more time, I might miss something important. What motivates me the most? The readers will yell foul. I want my audience to love my stories.

If you have a tip for keeping a character consistent, leave a comment below. Also, if you have a topic you'd like me to cover, feel free to leave a request. I'd love to hear from you. 

Click to go to my official website  I have more blog posts there and more news. Rather than shut down this Blogger site, I linked the two. There is a link on the website header if you wish to come back to Blogger. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment